Monday, December 6, 2010

Staple Items for Decorating the Table

I think there are a few staple items every woman should have in her home for decorating a dinning room table for any holiday or special occasion. I am more of the keep it simple & fresh type of girl. I don’t need fine china or plates for holidays, first of all because who has room for that and second of all I need something that if it gets broken by a child or myself that it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
  • White or real simple dishes: You need something that will go with Easter, Christmas, New Years, Birthday Parties, and much more. You can never go wrong with a white or cream dish. There are tons of fun ways to dress them up. You can always have a beautiful napkin, place mat or charger to help. I know when I was registering for dishes when I was engaged I looked at some beautiful blue dishes and then I thought that won’t go with a lot of things. Instead I went for some white dishes with small black polkadots around the side. They have been great for nice dinners and sandwiches. 
  • Large vases or apothecary jars: I love different size jars and vases! They are perfect for fresh flowers, candies, fruit, christmas balls, decorative eggs, candles or anything else you can fit in them. I saw a small vase filled with matchsticks recently and it was so beautiful. You can always place them going down the center of the table or on a buffet. My favorite has to be limes & lemons in a vase with gerbera daisies sticking out during the spring time. It is so bright & cheery! 
  • Candles: If you are doing a dinner, candles always go great on the table. You can put them in a vase or better yet a pretty candle holder. I wouldn’t put any candles that smell on the table just because it might take away from the smell of your yummy dinner. 
  • Goblets or wine glasses: If I could have a whole cabinet dedicated to glasses I would. I don’t know why but I am obsessed with drinking glasses. I love wine glasses & big goblets. To me they just say fancy! I think it is fun to have clear glasses but you need one set with some color just for fun. 
I think if you have these things on hand you will be set for success. Here is how I would set my table for a Christmas dinner. 
Simple plate.

Plain white dinner napkin tied with a ribbon & a Christmas ornament or a bell.
Simple & something most everyone would have around the house. If you did a
Christmas ball you could always write the person's name of the ornament & it would
serve as a place setting also. 

I love the color green but you could always go for red glasses to add a splash of color. 

I love this idea as a centerpiece for the table, one vase or apothecary jar filled with cranberries & a candle.
I would also add a vase or apothecary jar filled with limes and add a candle.
 Then you have your green & red Christmas colors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment